Talk to your customers and ask, “What is wrong and what do we need to do to fix it?” Speaking about ideals and values is not the same as living and demonstrating them. Those companies which talk and promise doing something great, but never actually get to it become unbelievable and will quickly fail in today’s market. We, as consumers, respect those companies which deliver on what they promise (do what they say, versus those who say one thing and do another). Make sure your company delivers what it promises. The only way you can verify you are doing what is wanted is by asking your customers directly every day.
Everyone in your company comes in contact with a customer or potential customer. When your people are speaking with customers, teach them to ask one more question.
Learn something; ask your customers one of these questions, whichever seems appropriate.
- If there anything else I can help you with today, please let me know. If your request is something I might not know I have plenty of people I can get the answer for you, so do not hesitate to ask.
- We appreciate your business so please let me know if there is anything else that you need. Do not hesitate to let me know; we cannot improve unless we ask.
- Please let me know if you have any questions about those items that are on sale. All of them are not on display; we have more in stock so let me know if you are interested as quickly as possible.
- We need good feedback to continue to make improvements so let me know what you think. We appreciate the feedback.
- In your opinion, what about this (product or service) would you change or alter to make it better?
- When you run into problems with this, please call me; and I will do my best to help you.
- Please let me know if you cannot find something or need some help. I am glad to be of assistance for you.
- What aspect about this would you change do you think?
- What is the first thing that came to mind when you saw this new product? Do you like the color, functionality, size, shape, finish, clever design, etc.?
- Is there anything about this new item that you would change for you, personally, if you had your wish?
- Before you go, is there anything else you need help with? Did you find everything you wished to look at today?
Check up on your company. Encourage your customers to voice their concerns and ask every time you have a chance, “Is there anything else that we can do for you?” Ask for customers’ feedback and openly invite criticism every day. Customers who get to voice their disapproval are saying, “Let me validly complain and once I do, I am willing to give your company another chance. If I do not speak up about the problem I have with you, it is because I have given up on you and I am going elsewhere.”
We greatly respect those companies which lead by doing. They deliver great products or deliver great service. We like and want to buy from those companies which back what they promise and deliver more than discussed, time after time. We also like those companies that pay attention to us and value what we say to them.